Products contain details, such as, the name, description, and SKU. Products are listed in a catalog using hierarchies. These catalogs then display the product in the storefront, such as a website. In Elastic Path Commerce Manager, you can also associate attributes with products using templates. However, product information does not contain pricing details. Pricing details for the products are managed in price books. For more information about products in Product Content Management, see the PCM Products section.
Product Status and Catalog Releases
For a product to appear in the store, the product must be in the active state and belong to at least one hierarchy within the target catalog. By default, a product is created in the draft state. This is to ensure that the product details are reviewed and approved before publishing it. When you publish a catalog, only the active products appear in the catalog release. If you change the product status and want it to reflect in the catalog release, you must republish the catalog release.
Before you begin
- Ensure that you have created at least one price book.
- In the Product Content Management > Products page, click Add Product.
- In the Product Details tab, enter the product details.
- In the Product Templates tab, add templates for the product.
- In the Pricing tab, configure the pricing settings for the product.
- In the Media Management tab, upload the product images.
Adding product details
In the Product Details tab, enter the following details:
- Name: A name for the product.
- (Optional) Description: A description for the product.
- SKU Number: The SKU number of the product.
- Slug: A label for the product that is used in the URL paths. A slug can contain any combination of letters, numbers, periods, hyphens, and underscores. No spaces or other characters are allowed. By default, the product name is used as the slug.
- Select physical or digital: The type of commodity.
- (Optional) MPN: Manufacture Part Number (MPN).
- (Optional) UPC/EAN: Universal Product Code (UPC) or European Article Number (EAN) used to scan a product in a Point of Sale (POS) system.
Set product status.
(Optional) Click Next.
(Optional) In the Pricing tab, enter the pricing and advanced pricing details.
(Optional) Click Next.
(Optional) In the Media Management tab, upload product images.
Adding templates to the product
In the Product Templates tab, click Add Templates.
The templates available for the product are listed.
To add a template to the product, click + in the template listing.
All templates added to the product are displayed in the Templates list table. This page also provides details of the templates, such as the name and values of the attributes in the templates.
- Click Save.
Configuring product price
Use this procedure to configure product pricing details for a product, such as price books associated with the product, and sale price and volume price. You can use volume pricing feature to set a different unit price for the product when shoppers make volume purchase of the product. You can select a price book for the product pricing and specify the new unit price offered when a minimum specified quantity is bought.
You can use the sale price feature and enable selling the product for a sale price during a specific period.
In the Pricing > Price Books tab:
To associate the product with a price book, in the Select Price Book field, select a price book.
Enter the amount in the available currencies.
You can configure currencies in Settings > Currencies.
In the Advanced Pricing tab, do the following:
- To specify the minimum purchase quantity to avail the volume pricing, in the Volume Pricing section, select a price book and enter the minimum purchase quantity.
- To specify sale price for the product, in the Sale Price section, select a price book and duration and enter a sale name.
After editing a product, ensure that you republish all catalogs that contain this product to reflect the changes.
In the Product Content Management > Products page, do one of the following:
- Double click the product.
- Click the ... icon and click Edit.
Update the details as required. For the changes to appear in the store, republish the catalogs that has hierarchies with this product.
Deleting a product removes the product information and the associated media files from the database. However, the product references are not deleted from the price books that consist of the product information. You must republish the catalog to update the catalog release with the changes. If you want to keep your hierarchies and price books up to date, remove the deleted products from those resources.
Even after deleting a product, an order history that has the product still keeps the product information of the deleted product, such as, the product SKU, product ID, and price. However, clicking the product does not take shopper to product details.
- In the Product Content Management > Products page, click the ... icon and click Delete.
To remove products from the catalog and still keep them in the database for audit purposes, set the product status to draft instead of deleting it. Additionally, remove the product from hierarchies, and republish the affected catalogs so that it does not appear in the storefront.