Payments for orders are processed through a payment gateway. Commerce Cloud offers integrations for a selection of payment gateway providers, or you can create your own integrations.
Payment transactions are processed similarly for all gateways:
- A payment transaction is created and an attempt to pay is made.
- The transaction is forwarded to the third-party gateway specified by the customer.
- The payment is processed by the third-party gateway.
Payment transactions are always processed outside of Commerce Cloud for security reasons. Typically, you use a token rather than pass the card details directly. If, however, you want to pass the cart details directly to the third-party provider, Commerce Cloud enforces the use of the secure HTTPS protocol. If the transaction is successful, a
200 OK response is returned. Use the response (success or failure) to update the transaction, which automatically updates the order and payment statuses.
A payment transaction can also be refunded. You can select which way you want to process refunds:
- Mark as Refunded: You can use your payment gateway’s console to process a refund. Process the refund first in the payment gateway and then use the Mark as Refunded capability in Commerce Cloud to complete the process.
- Refund through Commerce Cloud: Start a full or partial refund to a supported payment provider directly from Commerce Manager or the API. You still have the ability to mark as refunded for a pre-integrated gateway, such as Stripe.